Monday, August 13, 2012

a finish, ahoy!

Well, Almost a finish.
My three-year-old wants to be a pirate when he grows up. He runs around saying things like, "come on, you slugs!" to his friends, and "arrrgh, you scurvy dog" to me. He has a plastic sword that goes everywhere with him (including bed). So we are all starting to get into the pirate talk thing, thus, you are getting an Ahoy! as I share my newly quilted NY beauty.

these blocks take a REALLY long time to make but they are so worth it! I really like these teeny flying geese, they are each about an inch.
it was really fun to select the fabrics for each block. I started out with the big kaffe floral that  you see on the border, along with a couple greens, pinks and blues and the black and white dot that I picked out at the shop. As is my custom, I cannot make a quilt with just a few fabrics. I was into my stash for a little purple and the coral/pink stripe you see in the top picture. I like how the batik fabrics in the one arc above blend from pink to lavender to blue. Picking out the fabrics and deciding where each color will go is soooooo much fun!
I sewed the binding on today. I still do it the old-fashioned way by machine sewing the front then folding over and hand stitching the back, so that is my project this week. I have to get it back to the shop to hang. Hopefully it will entice people to sign up for the class.

I know this is a really long post already, but I have one more thing to share:
as I was piecing these, I realized that piecing the curved arcs together was going to be really tricky if I wanted to preserve the points and get the final product to lay flat (I hate how it gets so thick when there are so many seams coming together then it doesn't lay down well).
I devised a way to applique the curves by cutting the foundation template on the outer curve of each arc on the SEWING line, leaving no paper under the seam allowance on that side. After piecing the arc, I folded the seam allowance under. The foundation paper makes a template, so you can turn your seam allowance under along that edge then iron it down. Then I top-stitched the arcs together starting with the outer-most and working in. The foundation paper acts like stabilizer, you can line your points up perfectly, and the finished block lays perfectly flat! Once quilted, you don't notice the top stitching because it looks like quilting.
I have to make up some more blocks for my demo at the class, so I will take some pictures of my method, in case anyone is interested. I think it sped up the making of this quilt a great deal!

Well, mateys, I am afraid you will send me down the plank if I don't end this straightaway.

Sharon

9 comments:

  1. Blimey! That's one incredible quilt! Your new method looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shiver me timbers, Lass! Thar's a quilt to set yer deadlights on, f'sure. Tell yer young blaggard to mind his ways, else it'll be kissin' the gunner's daughter, he'll be doin'! P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how u bust me up with your silly and your talent. Love u!!!!! Quilt is beyond breathtaking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! So intricate and beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arrrgggghhhh! Matey, ye've done a wondrous fine job, you have! Sure, and I'll be orderin' ye to walk the plank if ye don't show us how that is done!! LOL
    Great post, Sharon, and lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like your 3 year old and my 2 year old would get along famously! She is always running around yelling "aye aye captain!" Not sure where she got it from! I love the quilt, it is just so stunning and your technique sounds like it would save countless headaches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not so in vibrant colors taht much but it looks really good. NY beauty is one of the next idea to do on my list. I already find some patterns on the net but not as complex as yours. It gives me a lot of ideas. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, let me know you visited and what you like, give me a suggestion, ask a question. Comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...