Sunday, August 5, 2012

there are no setbacks...

I sat down to sew my Reunion squares together yesterday and my machine went kaput. There is something wrong with the tension and I just got it back last week from having work done on the tension unit!
I was not happy. But I still have so much to show you!
I took the machine back to the shop for another look-see. Undeterred, I have been sewing on other projects, I just dusted off my Singer Featherweight. Always trusty, that one.

I made these two blocks

for a quilt that Hopeful Threads is making for kids in foster care in Texas. I found this group through Melissa at Sew Bittersweet Designs.
So, with my regular machine not working, I didn't want to finish my reunion squares on my featherweight since I didn't know if the seams would match, so my mind was racing about what to do next. After all, you can't let a weekend go to waste!
So I pulled out a compass block I had cut out and put that together:

I decided to wait to set it into a background fabric until I make more of them and decide how the finished quilt will be put together. While I was sewing on this, I was trying to decide if I should:
A. make more compasses and actually start a quilt
B. pick up another UFO
C. start one of the many projects that have been swirling in my mind.
Of course, I chose option C. I have just too many beautiful fabrics and ideas for creations to let them sit idly by while I actually finish something else!

I got out my kaffe polka dots (gorgeous!) and a few others that go along and some solid grays and set to work making pickles.

Here are the first four squares that I made this morning. Remember those acrylic templates for making drunkard's path blocks that were really popular a few years ago? the ones that let you cut the pieces with your rotary cutter? Well, I dug mine out and used them for these! I even wrote up a tutorial you can find here. This way your pickles are all uniform and the curves have the appropriate seam allowance so they fit together. Neat, huh?
All this is just too much fun.
I am sure these blocks will evolve a bit before I am finished with them. That's how I roll, everything starts out as one thing and ends up another as I get new ideas along the way. I am thinking about cutting the corners off and added another curved piece so it looks like a wedding ring. what do you think?
happy sewing!
Sharon

4 comments:

  1. *Love* your compass block! That floral really pops nicely in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun projects! I am very sorry about yiour machine. I understand the tension frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grrr, tension can really upset a good sewing day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing is worse than tension problems. It took 2 tries to get my older Janome fixed too! I love your blocks for Quilting For Kids - they are beautiful and I know they will be very appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, let me know you visited and what you like, give me a suggestion, ask a question. Comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...