Saturday, March 2, 2013

Fan Quilt Pattern: part 1



Welcome to the tutorial series on the Twirling Fan Quilt by Color Girl.

These are the instructions for making these fans:

supplies needed:
basic quilting tools: sewing machine, iron, rotary cutter and mat, rulers, thread

For this step, we will make the components of the fans. First, you will need to make templates.

print the templates from the pattern on heavy card stock and cut out.
I recommend reading all the instructions and then cut a few pieces, make one fan and then go from there rather  than cutting all fabric at the beginning.

               
Sewing!! Here we go. Piece with right sides of fabric together with 1/4" seam allowance, except where specified.

1. starting with one of the dark fabric strips face up, sew the LONG edge of the A trapezoids along the length of the strip, leaving one inch between each A piece as shown below:


2. press toward the A pieces

3. use a rotary cutter and ruler to cut the A units apart, continuing the angle of the trapezoid shape of the A. You may like to make a separate template for this, but it works just as well to use the shape of the A pieces to guide your cutting. See photo above. Now you have larger trapezoid shapes.

4. fold the pieces length-wise so that the long edges of the dark strip are in half, right sides facing:

5. using 1/4" seam allowance, sew along the raw edge of the dark strips to form folded units as shown above.

6. fold the sewn seam down so that the dark strip forms a triangle as shown below:
                                   use your finger to open the seam and finger-press it down.

7. turn the unit right-side out, use the tip of scissors to push the point of the dark fabric out so you have a sharp tip to your triangle. Press. Your unit should look like this: (front and back)

8. Sew these units together to form the fan. Press seams open:
back view of fan
9. turn the fan over and use the corner of a ruler to check that the edges of the outer pieces form a 90 degree angle:
10. if needed, trim the edges of the fan so that they form a straight 90 degree angle. As shown in the picture above, the corners sometimes stick out at the wrong angle. Trimming will not affect your finished block.

trimmed fan
Aren't they just so cute!?
Sharon

to move on to step 2, click here!

11 comments:

  1. These are great instructions and photos, Sharon! Boy do I wish I wasn't knee-deep in other projects....I'd be on this like fleas on a pup! LOL Maybe later this spring.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they're cute!! It's so good of you to work up and share this pattern publicly. I'm carefully saving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh these blocks are great. I will be reading along and may give them a try soon, but now I'm working on making some clothes and other things for my Granddaughter. Excellent tutorial though. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE ThIS QUILT BLoCK.....I FOUND this patter IN AN OLD notebook FROM MY GRANDMOTHERS CUPBOARD. IT WAS CALLED LETHA'S FAN from Kansas City Star. I was actually working on the pattern with some small trapezoids I found at Goodwill.

    I love how you have embellished it with poits..it has a gypsy look that sings to my soul...now I have to redo mine..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to tell you my name is Letha and so was my Grandmother's name...so she may have saved the Letha's' Fan pattern for that reason

      Delete
  5. GORGEOUS quilt! I saw it quilted on the Quiltville Blog. Hard to believe it could look even more amazing with the quilting. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it's been a long time but do you remember the fabric you used for this quilt? My hubby loved the pattern but thought that the beauty of it was enhanced by the fabric choice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's been a long time but do you remember the fabric you used for this quilt? My hubby loved the pattern but thought that the beauty of it was enhanced by the fabric choice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it's been a long time but do you remember the fabric you used for this quilt? My hubby loved the pattern but thought that the beauty of it was enhanced by the fabric choice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know it's been a long time but do you remember the fabric you used for this quilt? My hubby loved the pattern but thought that the beauty of it was enhanced by the fabric choice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know it's been a long time but do you remember the fabric you used for this quilt? My hubby loved the pattern but thought that the beauty of it was enhanced by the fabric choice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, let me know you visited and what you like, give me a suggestion, ask a question. Comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...