Welcome to the tutorial series on the Twirling Fan Quilt by Color Girl.
These are the instructions for making these fans:
basic quilting tools: sewing machine, iron, rotary cutter and mat, rulers, thread
For this step, we will make the components of the fans. First, you will need to make templates.
print the templates from the pattern on heavy card stock and cut out.
I recommend reading all the instructions and then cut a few pieces, make one fan and then go from there rather than cutting all fabric at the beginning.
Sewing!! Here we go. Piece with right sides of fabric together with 1/4" seam allowance, except where specified.
1. starting with one of the dark fabric strips face up, sew the LONG edge of the A trapezoids along the length of the strip, leaving one inch between each A piece as shown below:
2. press toward the A pieces
3. use a rotary cutter and ruler to cut the A units apart, continuing the angle of the trapezoid shape of the A. You may like to make a separate template for this, but it works just as well to use the shape of the A pieces to guide your cutting. See photo above. Now you have larger trapezoid shapes.
4. fold the pieces length-wise so that the long edges of the dark strip are in half, right sides facing:
5. using 1/4" seam allowance, sew along the raw edge of the dark strips to form folded units as shown above.
6. fold the sewn seam down so that the dark strip forms a triangle as shown below:
7. turn the unit right-side out, use the tip of scissors to push the point of the dark fabric out so you have a sharp tip to your triangle. Press. Your unit should look like this: (front and back)
8. Sew these units together to form the fan. Press seams open:
|back view of fan|
to move on to step 2, click here!